DANGERS OF EXCESSIVE USE OF MOBILE PHONES – SAR
The many amount of mobile phone users Worldwide has much increased the awareness of radiation effects of mobile phone towards human health widely spread across the globe. And Continuous researches have been done to investigate the effect of electromagnetic (EM) radiation from mobile phone unto human health by excessive use of mobile phones.
EM absorption by human is measured in terms of specific absorption rate, SMARTPHONE SAR VALUE show the radiated power from mobile phone absorbed by the human over a particular volume of body tissue corresponding to 1g or 10 g of body tissues and it is measured in what per kilogram (W/kg).
IS MOBILE PHONE USAGE BAD?
Of course it’s not bad to use your smart phone(s) laptop(s) but there’s a lot attached to that, we are now in an era where technology is advancing rapidly. Have you ever wondered why those who lived in rural settings tend to live long without having to go through all the medical attentions and checkups that those in the city undergo? There are a lot of factors that keep exposing city or urban residents to serious and dangerous medical related issues.
However, for a few years now, radio signal emissions from mobile phones and mobile towers are a big concern. And this should be a priority for those who live in developed and advanced environments where the use of smartphones and other electronic gadgets are used. In this post, I’ll be exposing you to
- What SAR is.
- What’s it importance to humans (positive sides)
- What are its effects on humans? (negative sides)
- Preventives measures to shield oneself from its fast growing dangers
The research of science and scientist have not proven 100% that radio waves that emits from mobile phones a mobile tower causes cancer or other dangerous health related issues to human beings.
Recently xiaomi’s Mi 3 and Remi’ s new smartphones reportedly having emissions beyond the normal safe SAR value but the question is
- How much dangerous radiations do smartphones discharge?
- What is the safe SMARTPHONE SAR VALUE ?
- Is the safe value worth depending on?
Now let’s dive into the business of the day,
SAR: Specific Absorption Rate. (In humans) This is the rate at which the human body tissues absorbs Electromagnetic frequencies and waves.The power absorbed per mass of tissue is measured in units of watts per kilogram (W/kg).
According to Wikipedia, one well-understood effect of microwave radiation is dielectric heating, in which any dielectric material (such as living tissue) is heated by rotations of polar molecules induced by the electromagnetic field. In the case of a person using a cell phone, most of the heating effect will occur at the surface of the head, causing its temperature to increase by a fraction of a degree. In this case, the level of the temperature increase is an order of magnitude less than that obtained during the exposure of the head to direct sunlight.
HOW IT WORKS
Tests must be made by smartphone manufacturers before each smartphone release with each specific source. For example a mobile phone model, and at the intended place of use. The result value will depend heavily on the geometry of the part of the body that is exposed to the RF energy, and on the exact location and geometry of the RF source.
It is commonly used to measure power absorbed from mobile phones and during MRI scans SAR is usually averaged either over the body, or over a small sample volume (typically 1 g or 10 g of tissue). SAR measures exposure to fields between 100 kHz and 10 GHz (generally known as radio waves)
When measuring the SAR due to a mobile phone the phone is placed at the head in a talk place. The SAR value is then measured at the scene that has the highest absorption rate in the entire head.
GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS ON SAR
In the US, the SAR value is 1.6 (1.6 watts per Kg), in EU it is 2.0, while in India, it is the same as US limits. However, India has also considered government-run tests and will not solely rely on manufacturer SAR measurements.
The FCC states that all cell phones should meet an exposure standard. For users who are concerned, they should use hands-free mode or a hands-free accessory to cut the risk of health hazards.
EXCESSIVE RADIATION FROM MOBILE PHONES ON THE HUMAN TISSUE
The risk from non-thermal effects is still in debate. The research on non-thermal risk states that the health hazards include a possibility of cancer, blood-brain barrier effects, cognitive effect, electromagnetic hypersensitivity, genetic effects, sleep and EEG effects, brain glucose consumption, behavioral effects, sperm count and sperm quality, and a few more.
SMARTPHONE SAR VALUE and the effect of the radio waves on human body health are still a deliberation. What is the SAR value of your smartphone? If you are concerned, you can check the SAR VALUE of your phone by logging on to the SAR Shield website and check the details for your smartphone.
BIOLOGICAL EFFECTS OF EXCESSIVE AMOUNT OF RFs ON HUMAN BODY
Excessive amount of RFs can break down tissue in the body and wreak havoc with DNA. Some claims suggest cell phone RFs may instigate brain tumors and even cancer. Exposures to RFs have been unofficially linked to sleep disorders, headaches, and other neurological problems. Claims that cell phones promote “radio wave sickness” have propagated through society for years. Associated illnesses include multiple sclerosis, depression, autism, and a slew of other common ailments.
SPECIFIC ABSORPTION RATE AND MOBILE NETWORK CARRIER
- One of the factors which influences the EM absorption is the positioning of the mobile phone or the phantom itself
- The dielectric properties of humans can also affect SMARTPHONE SAR VALUE
Increase in conductivity and the decrease in permittivity of the human head can cause increment of SAR
- Particular body tissue with higher water content contributes to higher SAR. Higher water content of body tissue implies that the body tissue has greater conductivity and is more susceptible to absorb EM waves.
- Magnitude of body tissue’s conductivity and permittivity are dependent on the frequency exposure
- Permittivity and conductivity of the tissues remain constant depending on the tissues being exposed to a constant frequency exposure.
- The effect of SAR majority depends on the antenna place on the mobile phone. A mobile phone with mounted antenna on top and hold in tilt position results in more absorption of EM radiation by the head.
PREVENTIVE MEASURES TO REDUCE SAR RISK
- It is essential to keep the human head as distant from the antenna as possible, since it is the source of radiation emission. The antenna substrate material effects SAR much. Substrate with lower conductivity leads lower induced surface current and lower radiation towards human head.